Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A to Z Challenge - Newsletters

For the A to Z Challenge, I’m posting promo and other tips for writers, along with a daily photo. (All photos taken by me.)


Newsletters are a great way to keep your fans/customers up to date on new information.

However, the purpose of a newsletter is not just to promote - it is to provide valuable information. If all you do is talk about yourself or your books/products, people will unsubscribe - or worse yet, report you as spam!

What items would be good for a newsletter?

Articles that solve problems or inform
News flashes on growing trends
Links to other news items or articles
Highlight on a guest (author, company, product, etc.)
Contests
Photos
And finally, any new news about you, including new dates, products, books, etc.

Do you have a newsletter?

Visit other participants in the A to Z Challenge HERE

And your daily photo - "Newspaper Bandit Rides Again"



$14.95 Trade paperback ISBN 978-0-9827139-5-2
$4.99 Ebook ISBN 978-0-9827139-9-0

Purchase at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Amazon Kindle UK, and Powell’s.

22 comments:

shelly said...

Love the kitty pic. Good tip.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Anonymous said...

Great Kitty photo, good tips about newsletters.

Yvonne.

Unknown said...

I know a few writers with newsletters. It's a nice way to get the word out about the book and the writer.

Unknown said...

I've never really thought of newsletters before- good tip.

Jo said...

Love the picture today.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't believe I am ready for a newsletter yet.

Mark Means said...

Something else I wouldn't think of as a marketing tool.

Great tips and I'm learning a ton over here...thanks! :)

cleemckenzie said...

I like newsletters, but there are so many of them these days you really have to sort carefully or be diluged.

As to the cat . . . I think I'll get rid of my paper shredder and hire this feline!

Misha Gerrick said...

I have thought about doing a newsletter, but... I just haven't figured out one that wouldn't annoy people.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I've no idea how to start one, but I've had requests for one. Sigh.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Clarissa, I had one when my YA series was coming out and it was a lot of fun.

Lee, I used to be signed up for so many - it was overload.

Misha, don't want to annoy!

Tina said...

Cute cat pic. I hate cats, so it's REALLY cute ;-)
Good tip, which I shall use should I ever get to that point with my writing...

Nice that google recognized something you're obviously proud of!
Tina @ Life is Good
Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
@TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

Ella said...

YOUR adorable feline would of been a big help for me today~ So cute :D

Cool idea I have considered doing a Zine...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm thinking about a newsletter but I'm not sure I want to commit the time to do it right.

Gwen Gardner said...

Oh this is great, Diane! Angela Brown and I set up an account for a newsletter for our Partners in ParanormYA blog but haven't issued the first one yet - this will help. Thanks!

Nick Wilford said...

I'm a long way from that but I think it would be good to have an original angle that would keep people reading.

Ciara said...

I just started a newsletter and only sent twice. It goes out once a quarter, but I confess it is news about Ciara Knight books, promotions, prizes and such. I'll have to think about changing that. I've only had one person unsubscribe so far.

Golden Eagle said...

I considered setting up a newsletter (again, for my other site the Eagle Directory) but decided I wouldn't have a big enough audience. Also, I was uncomfortable with the fact you have to include your physical address in all email newsletters sent out.

Nancy Thompson said...

Great idea! But that would require I me to be tech savvy, which I am definitely NOT!

klahanie said...

A newsletter is a great idea. I'm going to run this one by Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! She's always looking for new angles.

Thank you for this.

Gary

Heather M. Gardner said...

I'm just not cool enough to have a newsletter. :)

I LOVE that cat photo!

Heather

randi lee said...

Oh wow--a newsletter's a great idea! Never thought of that.