Friday, July 20, 2012

What Would You Tell a Writer or New Author?

Now that I have my manuscript back from my critique partner (thank you, Karen Walker) I can finally finish my publishing and promoting book. By finally finish, I mean get my own butt in gear and get ‘er done.

I’ve a few more things to add, plus links to hundreds of websites. As I’ve said before, if the publishing industry would just stop changing for a week or so, I could finish.

As with my Overcoming Obstacles with SPUNK book, I intend to include some quotes from others in the book. Just little tips and suggestions sprinkled throughout the chapters. I have many people to email this weekend, but I’d like to open it up to my followers, too.

If you are an author, book blogger, or publisher - what would YOU tell a new writer or author? What words of advice would you impart? What I’m seeking are short, 1-3 sentences of wisdom from those who’ve been there, done that. All contributors get a by-line and a link to their site.

If you are interested, leave a comment and include your email address if it’s not located on your blog or in your profile. I’d like this to benefit as many people as possible.

Karen’s comments were wonderful and I really hope How to Publish and Promote Your Book Now helps a lot of people!

18 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Nice idea! I'll shoot you an email with it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Is it supposed to help them? I'd hate to ruin anyone's career.

Talli Roland said...

I'm sure your book will be invaluable. Hmm, I guess what I'd tell people is that persistence really is the key. That, and to start your new novel while querying your last one. Practise makes perfect!

Karen Lange said...

Great idea! One thing I would encourage them to do is to stay sharp by continually learning.

Have a great weekend!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Good book to put out there Diane! Promotion? Start making friends/connections long before you're ready to publish. That's twofold because you'll be speaking to your audience and/or people who can spread the word on your work. It also teaches you that you're more than THE BOOK--whatever one is currently being offered.

My brain is on fried right now (I think all the sore painting muscles are draining it). I'll think about it and send you an email.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

shelly said...

Sounds great! I'll try really hard to put my thinking cap on.

Shelly
http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Here is something I wish I had learned sooner: Give and receive critiques. When you give, you learn what makes a manuscript work. When you humbly receive, you grow as a writer.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

LD Masterson said...

I'm going to dig around my head add see if I have something worth offering.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

"No matter how much the industry grows and changes, the one thing that stays the same is you must sit your butt in a chair and write. Nothing else matters unless you get that part done."

sgourleyauthor@gmail.com
http://www.susangourley.com

Mel Chesley said...

Hmm... the first thing I impart to new authors is this:

Forget what they've told you about gaining a following AFTER your book is done. Do that first, you'll have a reader base waiting that will grow once the book is out there. And get a blog!

www(dot)paridzule(dot)keep(at)gmail(dot)com.

Great post and good luck!

Jemi Fraser said...

Fun idea! I would tell new authors to slow down. So many people rush to the next step before they've learned what's important fromt he step they're on. Publishing isn't a speed race. :)

DL Hammons said...

I won't feel competent enough to hand out any advice until I've been published myself. I like your concept though! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Wise words, everyone!

Anonymous said...

I would tell them to start a blog and post about various topics. Blogging helps me stay fluent so to speak in areas of science, sci-fi, writing, publishing, and promoting.

And visit other blogs outside your genre.

I think a writer needs to be well rounded rather than excel at only one or two things.

stephen.tremp@yahoo.com

Donna Shields said...

I would say continue to write no matter what. If you stop writing for fear of rejection, you won't grow as a writer.

shieldsdonna@hotmail.com

Ciara said...

What a great idea! I really admire how driven you are. What a way to give back, too.
I think the first thing a new author needs to learn is how to take criticism without it ruining their creativity and goals. Study each word like homework and learn from what people say. With this attitude a writer will grow quicker and have less nervous breakdowns. :)

Tonja said...

I bet Karen is an awesome cp!

I would tell them to get busy expect it to take forever. But do it anyway.

Sangu Mandanna said...

That sounds like it's going to be a fantastic book!

I guess what I'd tell someone is: don't write for somebody else. Don't write for a market, or to a trend, or because you think it's what you should be writing. Write a book for YOU, a story YOU want to tell.