Sunday, April 26, 2009

New Bern, NC

New Bern is a beautiful town not far from the Carolina coastline. It is also host to the New Bern Literary Symposium, which takes place next month. Friday, May 15th features several workshops for writers and Saturday is the main event, with talks and panel discussions.

For details - Calendar of Events or Brochure

New Bern is also the birthplace of Pepsi, and you can visit the original store downtown.

The city's biggest attraction is Tryon Palace Historical Sites & Gardens - Tryon Palace It was the first permanent capital of North Carolina and home to the governor.



On Saturday, our photo club went to Tryon Palace for a shoot. My schedule rarely permits me to attend these outings, so it was a real treat to get out and do something completely unrelated to my books. I spent years as a professional photographer, shooting everything from weddings to portraits to stock photos, so the opportunity to take fun photos is something I cherish!


Every now & then, we need to take a break. What fun thing have you done lately?



8 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

I love that picture of the walkway through the tunnel of vines/trees. I love taking pictures, but am no professional. Thanks for sharing yours.

Helen
http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com

Morgan Mandel said...

I agree that vine/tree photo is spectacular.

The birthplace of Pepsi sounds like a great place to visit. Pepsi is my favorite pop.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Enjoyed the photos. My latest fun escape was taking my young grandson on the Seminole Train ride yesterday. Listening to his excitment and watching his expressions made for a perfect hour and a half ride.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I want to see more of your work - those are beautiful photos! My latest adventure was with my husband and to tots. We went to Phoenix for the weekend and did it as family-friendly as we could. It was just what we needed.

Beth Blair said...

(The above was me. I hit send too quickly!)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's okay, Beth!

And I have a large selection of my work posted at my DeviantArt account - link in sidebar.

Morgan, you'd love the Pepsi store - very retro!

Anonymous said...

Looks like an awesome site and a great place to have a creative function. Nice photos, Diane!

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

The things I learn from your blog! Glad to see you promoting literacy! The US is way behind these days.
Best,
Carolyn
www.howtodoitfrugally.com