Thursday, August 14, 2008

Outlines

I'm amazed how many authors/writers do NOT outline their work.

I think it's VITAL!! How can one aim at an unknown target (in the form of the end of the story)? I'd meander off on tangents constantly if I did not outline my fiction work. I not only outline, I use a timeline to keep all of the actions consistent from one story to the next and have detailed character sheets as well. Guess with five overlapping books, it was a necessity! And I certainly could not be writing my non-fiction book without an outline!

Actually, I love that outline! I did not have to begin at the beginning - I wrote the second section first! It's like building blocks - just keep doing them one piece at a time and stack them together.

Anyone else feel outlines are important?

No comments: