Friday, April 14, 2006

Inspiration

I'm often asked what inspires me to write.

What began as a dream 3 & 1/2 years ago has spawned four full novels, with one more to complete. I am inspired by the character's intricate lives and where they are headed. I do not believe in writer's block, as if I ever find myself lacking in enthusiasm, I skip ahead to a scene that motivates me and play connect the dots later.

What really helps though is theme music. Movies have theme music and when you hear them, you are instantly drawn into that film. Well, each of my characters has a theme song, so to speak.

Lori's inspiration is taken from a disc I put together called Eternal Love - a mix of pop & rock love songs.

Sarah's song is Evanescence's Bring Me To Life and one of desperation.

James takes his inspiration from Stabbing Westward, and their songs Shame and What Do I Have To Do?

Mike's story was borne out of sorrow and regret. His theme is Finger Eleven's Thousand Mile Wish and One Thing.

Heather? Well, guess I'll just have to start writing and see what hits!

No comments: